- Maternity Leave- We wish Mrs. Murphy all the very best as she begins her maternity leave! Ms. Dillon will teach First class while she is out of school.
- Aladdin Connect/School Payments-Please note that we will be using Aladdin Connect for Permissions now instead of printing off paper slips. You will see the permissions tab on the home page of your Aladdin app. All you will need to do is select the tick when you give permission for the activity.
- School Jumpers-Please ensure that your child’s name is clearly printed on their uniform and tracksuit jumpers.
- SING OUT LOUD-3rd to 6th class will take part in the Sing Out Loud event in the National Opera House on Wednesday 20th November. Information about tickets etc. will soon be circulated.
- TWITTER– Please follow us on the Twitter accounts below.
- Work experience-We are delighted to welcome back some transition year students who will be doing some work experience with us. Many thanks to Mrs. Quigley who co-ordinates the work experience.
- Teaching Practice-We will also have four student teachers who will complete their teaching practice with us during the year. In Rathnure NS, we feel it is very important to give these teachers the opportunity and experience they need. This can only happen with the co-operation of class teachers and we are grateful to them.
- Leinster Cups to visit Rathnure NS-We are excited to announce that the Senior and Minor Leinster Cups will be paying a visit to our school on Friday 18th October!! We look forward to seeing the Bob O’Keefe Cup and the Irish Press Cup in Rathnure!
- Child Safeguarding Statement-The Board of Management has completed the annual review of this policy and it is on display on the main noticeboard in the school. It is also available to view on our website www.rathnurens.ie.
- Absences-If your child has been absent from school, please input the reason for absences on your Aladdin app after the absence. At present, there is not a facility on Aladdin to input details in advance about leaving school early or absence so we ask that you ensure that a note is written to the class teacher using the notes in the back of the homework journal.
- Green Flag- Please send in any old batteries, stamps and mobile phones on Fridays for recycling.
- Student Council– We are currently in the process of setting up a Student Council for the first time in the school. Pupils from third to sixth class have been busy putting forward nominations for class representatives to the council. Elections will take place during the month of October and we look forward to bringing you more updates on this new and exciting initiative. Thanks to Mrs. Keogh for supporting the pupils and staff in setting up the Student Council.
- Health Promoting School-: Well done to all the pupils who are making such a great effort to include extra fruit and vegetables in their lunchbox on Fruit and Veg Mondays. Our next Mindfulness Monday will take place on October 7th. We would love to see some of your activities tweeted to @RathnureNS.
- Active School Flag-Many thanks to Ms. Doyle for organising the #takeontheteachers challenge for us last Thursday. This was part of the National Fitness Day event. We had great fun and it re-affirmed to us how fit, active and talented all of our pupils are!!
- Literacy Initiatives- Senior Infants are very busy with Literacy Lift Off four days a week and the senior classes are working hard at Literacy Hour in the afternoons. Many thanks to everyone involved in co-ordinating these initiatives; class teachers, SEN teachers, SNAs and parent volunteers-all of your hard work is really making a difference to the literacy skills of the pupils.
- Words Their Way- This year, we are excited to pilot a phonics, spelling & vocabulary programme in 2nd class called Words Their Way. The main benefit of this programme is that it differentiates instruction, allowing pupils to work at their appropriate level. Ms. Hayden, Mr. Kinsella and Ann are putting a lot of work into this pilot project and we are looking forward to seeing the results.
- Think Maths-We continue to run a Junior & Senior maths problem of the week competition. Every pupil has the opportunity to answer the problem and a winner is picked from a hat of correct answers during assembly. Thanks to Mrs. Quigley for organising this.
- Centre for School Leadership Cluster-Mrs. Nolan & Mrs. Byrne are involved in a cluster with two other primary schools and two post-primary schools. We are working on how we can best support pupils in the transition between primary & post-primary. We appreciate the support and feedback from our respective staffs while we are working on this project.
- Swimming Lessons-Mrs. Quigley and Mrs. Keogh’s classes will have 6 weeks of swimming lessons in The Apex in New Ross starting Tuesday 17th September.
- Football Lunchtime League-Thanks to Mr. Wright who is running this fun league at the moment.
- GAA/Athletic development coaching-Damian Quigley and his team of coaches will be providing some coaching for our pupils this year. 1st & 2nd class will avail of this coaching on Wednesdays until the Mid-term break. Pupils may wear tracksuits on Wednesdays for this. The other classes will be availing of this coaching later in the year.
- Hurling 365-Damian Quigley & Richie Flynn supported by Mr. Wright will run Hurling 365 again this year. It will recommence on Wednesday 9th October. Junior & Senior Infants who wish to take part will have their session on Wednesdays 2pm-3pm in the arena. Thanks to Ms. Stafford & Mrs. Byrne also for their help with this.
- Hurling/Movement training-This is open to boys from 3rd to 6th class and will take place on Tuesdays after school until 4pm.
- AGM– The AGM of the Parents Association took place on Wednesday 25th September. Thanks to our outgoing PA committee members Anne Butler, John Moore & Shane Barron for all of their work & contribution. Welcome to Siobhan Browne, Paula O’Neill & Jean Hayden who have kindly volunteered to join our committee. PA officers for this school year are: Chairperson-Anne Morrissey, Secretary-Marie Doran and Treasurer-Paula O’Neill.
- Clothes Collection– There will be a Clothes Collection on Tuesday 5th November. Cash for Clobber who work with charities, will collect bags of clean, dry clothes. Bags may be left into school on Monday 4th November or at the school gate before 9.30am on Tuesday 5th November.
- Social Dance- Social Dance to be held in Rathnure Hall on Friday November 22nd @ 10pm. All proceeds will be in aid of Rathnure National School & Rathnure Toddler Group. Further information to follow regarding ticket sales, raffle prize donations & home baking donations.
Dates for your diary
- Sunday 13th October 10.30am-Do This in Memory Enrolment Mass for 2nd class in St. Anne’s Church Rathnure.
- Friday 18th October-Leinster Hurling cups visit to Rathnure NS
- 28th October to 1st November-School closed for Mid-Term Break
- Tuesday 5th November-Clothes Collection.
- Wednesday 20th November-Sing Out Loud Concert in the National Opera House at 7.30pm
- Friday 29th November-School is closed for teacher training in the Primary Language Curriculum
- Thursday 27th February-Retreat for Confirmation classes. Further details to follow.
- Thursday 12th March 11am-Confirmation Ceremony for 5th & 6th class.
- Saturday 23rd May-First Holy Communion. 10am Rathnure and 12pm Templeudigan
Follow us on Twitter!!!
@RathnureNS for general school news and each teacher for their class news and updates:
@MrsNolanRNS @MrsQuigleyRNS @MrsByrneRNS @MrKinsellaRNS @Mr_WrightRNS @MsHaydenRNS @MrsMurphyRNS @MsDoyleRNS @MsStaffordRNS @MrsKeoghRNS