- First Holy Communion-Congratulations to 2nd class who celebrated their First Holy Communion on Saturday. We are very proud of them all. A big thank you to all of the staff of the school and to Fr. Broaders for all of their help preparing the pupils for their big day.
- Fresh Today lunches-If you are aware that your child will be out of school for a time, please cancel their lunch by emailing email@example.com or phoning 0539235994 before 6pm on the Thursday before their absence. Please also cancel or change lunch if your child is not eating it, to avoid waste and extra cost.
- Communication-As you will be aware, teachers are in class from 9.20am to 3pm daily and are generally not in a position to take phone-calls during these hours. If you wish to contact your child’s teacher, we ask that you contact the school office on 053-9255161 between 9am and 2pm. The secretary will pass a message on to the relevant teacher who will get in contact with you by a phone-call or meeting outside of teaching hours. Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
- Green Flag- We have received notification that our application for the Green Flag award has been successful!! We will raise our 5th Green Flag on Celebration Day in June. We greatly appreciate all of the work that Mrs. Quigley and her committee do throughout the whole school year to help us to stay to maintain our green school status. Well done everyone!!
- Active Flag-We
are working towards earning an Active Flag for our school. A big thank you to Ms. Doyle and Mr.
Wright who are putting a huge amount of work into planning activities for
us. During this term we will be undertaking the following activities:
- Fit4Class lessons and activity breaks in our classes.
- Move Well Move Often Physical Literacy initiative.
- Run Around Europe 20 day challenge where, as a class and school we will run/walk the distance to landmarks in Europe.
- There will be an Active School Walkway marked out on the school pitch.
- Step Challenge 6th class v staff.
- Literacy Lift Off-Assessments have been carried out in Senior Infants and 1st class following Literacy Lift Off. The children have greatly improved in their knowledge of sight word and phonics and we are thrilled with the work they have done. Congratulations to the class teachers Ms. Stafford & Mrs. Byrne, SEN teachers Ms. Hayden & Ms. Doyle, SNAs Ann Westnott and Marion Fuller and to the parents for all of the work you have put in-it is brilliant to see the fruits of the hard work. Well done to all of the pupils!! Literacy Lift Off has begun in Junior Infants this week with help from SNA Karen Codd. Thanks again to the parents who volunteered to help out with Literacy Lift Off during the year.
- Literacy Hour-Literacy Hour continues in the Senior Classes where pupils are all working at their own level and are moving up through the levels as they progress. Thanks to the Board of Management who very kindly purchased new books for Literacy Hour. These books are invaluable to us as we undertake our Literacy initiatives and all pupils will read most of the books during their time in primary school. Our main aim when introducing Literacy Hour in senior classes was to have the children reading more. Thanks to our SEN team of Ms. Hayden & Ms. Doyle for all the work they do sourcing and managing the resources that we have.
- Primary Language Curriculum-The teachers undertook in-service training and planning for the new Primary Language Curriculum this week. ‘The curriculum is changing so that it is up-to-date with the times we live in, with developments in language learning and the introduction of the Free Pre-school Years. Since the last curriculum (1999), society and communities have changed greatly, as has your child’s learning environment. The new curriculum is structured to make it easier for teachers to support children learning both English and Irish.’ (www.ncca.ie)
- Mini 7s-Huge congratulations to our Mini 7s champions and to Mr. Wright for completing a hat-trick of titles!! We will present their medals during a celebration day in June.
- Rackard League Camogie-Best of luck to our camogie team and to Ms. Stafford as they compete in the semi-final next Tuesday 14th May in ferns at 2pm.
- Hurling 365-Hurling 365 is now finished for the year. It has been a fantastic addition to our school and club this year and we can’t thank the volunteers enough, especially Damien Quigley, Richie Flynn and Mr. Wright who organised the coaching.
- Rackard league Athletics-Some of our pupils will compete in the school sports competition on Thursday 23rd May. We will run the trials next week. Thank you to Mrs. Byrne who will co-ordinate the athletics.
- Cycling lessons-. 5th & 6th class pupils commence cycling lessons with South East Cycling this week. Please be aware that some pupils might be cycling to and from school now and we ask that all drivers travel slowly and take extra care on the approach roads to the school. Any senior pupils who have permission from their parents to cycle should wear a helmet and a high visibility vest.
- Living Arts-Our Senior pupils took part in the Living Arts Project this year where they worked with artists Orla Bates and Aoife Banville over a period of 8 weeks. The pupils learned a lot and put their creative talents to good use as they created some wonderful pieces of art. These were displayed at an exhibition in the Wexford Arts Centre. The pupils visited the exhibition and took part in workshops in the Wexford County Council offices on Wednesday 1st May. Huge thanks to Mrs. Murphy and Mrs. Keogh for their work and time on the project.
- Craft-ed– Thanks to Mrs. Quigley who took 3rd & 4th class through the Craft-ed project with artist Mairéad Holohan. The pupils really enjoyed the lessons and they created beautiful puppets which they are very proud of.
- Easter Raffle: The Parents Association would like to thank everyone who sold & purchased lines for the Annual Easter Raffle. A total of €2,712 was raised. The prize winners were are follows: 1st Susan O’Leary, 2nd Kevin Gahan, 3rd Tina Doran, 4th Niamh Kavanagh, 5th Damien Fitzhenry, 6th Christine Creedon. We also had 7 sellers prizes which were won by Reillys, Cody Clince, Fallons, Owen Murphy, Elfekys, O’Neills & Ms. Doyle. Congratulations to all our winners and thank you to the PA for organizing the event.
- Buddy Benches-Two buddy benches have been very kindly purchased by the Parents Association for the school yard. We would like to thank Enniscorthy Mens shed for all their hard work in making the benches. We looking forward to seeing the benches in the school yard over the coming weeks.
- Social Dance-Social dance to take place in Rathnure Hall on Friday May 24th at 10pm. Proceeds are in aid of Rathnure Toddler Group & Rathnure National School. Refreshments will be served. Music by Michael Collins. Admission €10. Door prize on the night. Tickets are available through the Parents Association & Rathnure National School office. Your support would be very much appreciated. Also donations of home baked good to the parish hall on the night would be greatly received
- Choir treats-A big thank you to the PA for arranging treats for the members of the school choir as a thank you for singing at the Communion ceremonies.
Dates for your diary:
- Tuesday 14th May-Rackard League Camogie semi-final at 2pm in Ferns.
- Thursday 23rd May-Rackard League School Sports Athletics, The Hub Track, Enniscorthy
- Friday 24th May-School closed to be used as a polling station
- Tuesday 4th June-3rd/4th and 1st/2nd School Tour
- Wednesday 5th June-Junior/Senior Infants School Tour
- Friday 7th June-5th/6th School Tour
- Week Beginning 10th June-Active Week
- Friday 14th June-School Sports Day
- Friday 21st June-Celebration Day, medal presentation, flag raising etc
- Saturday 22nd/Sunday 23rd June-Do this in Memory Masses for 2nd class
- Wednesday 26th June 10am-End of Year Mass
- Thursday 27th June-School closes for the summer at 12pm
Follow us on Twitter!!!
@RathnureNS for general school news and each teacher for their class news and updates:
@MrsNolanRNS @MrsQuigleyRNS @MrsByrneRNS @MrKinsellaRNS @Mr_WrightRNS @MsHaydenRNS @MrsMurphyRNS @MsDoyleRNS @MsStaffordRNS @MrsKeoghRNS