Child Protection Policy of Rathnure NS
The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management of Rathnure NS has agreed the following child protection policy:
1. The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
2. The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is
Mrs. Taragh Nolan
3. The Deputy Designated Liaison Person (Deputy DLP) is
Mrs. Breda Quigley
4. In its policies, practices and activities, Rathnure NS will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
The school will
• recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
• fully co-
• adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
• develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
• fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any adult pupil with a special vulnerability.
5. This section of the child protection policy should be used to list school policies, practices and activities that are particularly relevant to child protection :
Code of Behaviour
Toileting/Intimate care needs
Supervision and Monitoring of pupils
Recruitment & Selection of Staff
Visitors & Guests to the school
Health & Safety Statement
School tours/outings Policy
The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the above listed items.
6. This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents’ Association and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron if requested.
7. This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year.
This policy was reviewed and updated by the Board of Management on 3rd November 2014
Date of next review: November 2015